The Air District's Climate Protection Program began 10 years ago, yet not one rule to limit greenhouse gases (GHGs) from stationary sources has been adopted, and in 2012 the Air District actually amended its Permit Regulation to exclude even a review of GHG emissions (let alone require reductions) from virtually all permit evaluations.
The Air District is focused on a long term Regional Climate Action Strategy. We asked for and fully support that.
But it's also urgent to take action now to reduce GHG emissions. Many solutions are already well understood. The Air District has the power and the responsibility to implement them.
Most GHG emissions come from combustion, as do particulate emissions (which according to a 2012 BAAQMD report kill 1,700 Bay Areans every year). Only by ending reliance on combustion for heat and power can we clean the air and protect the climate. Industries, developers and vendors will need a long lead time to bring solutions to market. The time to begin the process is now.
Clean energy systems are already being installed on new and existing residential and commercial buildings in the Bay Area. Clean buildings are the "low hanging fruit" for GHG reductions. The time is ripe to promote Bay Area climate action leadership and work toward a regional mandate.
EXTRA LOVE to people who also post personal comments.
BAAQMD Board Members will read them!
Dear BAAQMD Board,
Please take real climate leadership and direct Air District staff to:
- DECARBONIZE BAY AREA INDUSTRIES — Set a goal and pathway to decarbonize Bay Area industries. Overhaul combustion rules to move Bay Area industries toward clean technology and design alternatives as well as efficiency improvements.
- AIR PERMIT RULES — Eliminate the GHG exclusion, and incorporate emission reduction goals into permit rules. Stop GHG emission increases. Achieve actual reductions.
- CLEAN BUILDINGS — Develop and promote model rules for clean buildings beyond California requirements. Work toward the elimination of combustion GHGs and all other pollutants from building systems and appliances.
- CLEAN POWER — Investigate and implement every avenue the Air District can take to support, mandate and fund clean power generation through CEQA mitigation, permitting and regulatory action.
- STAFFING — Assign sufficient staff to GHG rule development.
Sign our petition asking Governor Brown to lead efforts to prevent the climate change catastrophe of expanded drilling for dirty oil in California.
Governor Jerry Brown:
We recognize your strong commitment to protecting our climate and call on you to ban fracking in California. Fracking accelerates climate disruption. Fracking and the use of fracked oil will produce a huge increase in greenhouse gas emissions, virtually wiping out progress made by California toward emissions reduction. I want California to move forward to clean, renewable energy and leave dirty shale oil in the ground. New York, New Jersey and Vermont have already enacted bans or moratoriums on fracking. California has always been the leader in fighting climate disruption. We call on you to provide that leadership now and ban fracking to ensure our children and theirs will have a habitable earth to live on.
Your contribution matters! We are up against some of the richest, most profitable (and dirtiest) enterprises, as Bill McKibben put it, in the history of money.
Please consider making Monthly Donations, which are the best way to support us by providing predictable revenue for planning purposes.
To make a donation by check, please make the check to "350 Bay Area", and send to:
350 Bay Area
PO Box 18762
Oakland, CA 94619
We appreciate your support for event and meeting logistics, outreach, publicity and general support of local Climate Activism. Every dime will be well spent!