UPDATE: We're starting an hour earlier, at 6 pm, for those who can come then and do additional work on signs for the No Coal in Oakland rally. Please join us when you can.
Please come to our joint Divestment Bay Area–Fossil Free California meeting on Wednesday, June 22nd, from 7-9 pm 6-9 pm. The meeting will be held at Robert and Deborah Silvey's home in North Berkeley, a three-block walk from the North Berkeley BART Station. Newcomers to the divestment movement are very welcome to join us. Please RSVP, so we'll know how many people to expect.
Spend the evening with us as, first, we put our coal divestment wins to good use. Then, discuss next plans for oil and gas divestment — the “divest the rest” challenge. Here’s the broad agenda:
Help our allies, No Coal in Oakland, ahead of their June 25th rally and June 27th City Council rally and final vote:
- Make signs for the rally. We can use many of our orange Fossil Free X’s — adding the message “No Coal in Oakland”; other materials for simple signs will be provided.
- Prepare to make public comment for the June 27th City Council vote: Sample argument: in the past two years, we’ve celebrated wins — big and small — for coal divestment. Among many others: Stanford University, CalPERS and CalSTRS (mandated by SB 185); and in May, closer to home, Oakland Police and Fire Retirement System. Coal is in such trouble in the market and as an investment it makes no sense to allow it to wreak havoc on both our community and the climate.
Plan what’s next for our “Divest the Rest” challenge:
- Midsummer Ice Cream Social Fundraiser, July 30th: Getting needed funding for more education, outreach, bigger media presence.
- CalSTRS: Building on the momentum from our June 8th silent demonstration at CalSTRS HQ.
- CalPERS: Working with our allies, especially unions, to respond to staff’s regressive consideration of investment in tobacco; making the case against Exxon investment.
- News from current Fossil Free California groups: Portland meeting of Presbyterians considering divestment, Fossil Free LA group, and others.
If you're unable to attend in person but want to join us by phone, please let me know. We'll provide a call-in number for you in our reminder just before the meeting.
Hope you can join us on June 22nd!
1709 Virginia St
Berkeley, CA 94703
Google map and directions