Cut Bay Area carbon pollution here and now
Lobby focus: Bay Area Air Quality Management District
Transform the Bay Area's energy and economic infrastructure to get off fossil fuels and bring healthful air and a healthy environment to all.
The Bay Area Air Quality Management District is the lead agency responsible for controlling 50-60% of Bay Area greenhouse gas emissions. The Air District’s Mission is “to protect and improve public health, air quality and the global climate.” We petitioned the Air District to use its authority to:
- Declare that catastrophic climate disruption is an escalating emergency
- Act on its mission by adopting aggressive programs by July 2014 to reduce Bay Area greenhouse gas emissions to 80% below 1990 levels by 2050.
The Air District adopted a Resolution encompassing our goals on November 6, 2013 and staff have begun to develop programs to cut climate pollution. Eventually, emission reduction regulations must be adopted through BAAQMD Board votes. Sustained public input will be critical to success because large industries will oppose our aims.
We need to win the ongoing support of BAAQMD Board members.
Santa Clara County has four representatives on the Air District Board, San Jose City Council Member Ash Kalra, Palo Alto City Council Member Liz Kniss, Los Altos City Council Member Jan Pepper and Santa Clara County Supervisor Cindy Chavez. On December 17 we'll discuss progressive measures the Air District Board can pass to reduce climate pollution, and encourage people to talk to their Board reps.
Please join us at a campaign meeting in Palo Alto to include:
- BayCAP campaign presentation - Bay Area GHG emissions and avenues to reduce them
- Discuss climate action work already happening in Santa Clara County
- BayCAP proposals for Air District action
- Develop and enhance constituent networks to work with BAAQMD Board members Santa Clara County Supervisor Cindy Chavez, Los Gatos Council Member Jan Pepper, Palo Alto Council Member Liz Kniss and San Jose Council Member Ash Kalra to win their support for our proposals.
Meeting co-sponsored by Sierra Club Loma Prieta Chapter and 350 Silicon Valley
3921 E Bayshore Rd
Palo Alto, CA 94303
Google map and directions