- Lobby for a Regional Climate Action Plan
- Public Advocacy at Regional Agencies
Do our part to stabilize the earth's climate and bring healthy air to all. Transform the Bay Area's energy infrastructure to get off fossil fuels.
1. Persuade BAAQMD Board to support our Proposal
2. Organize public comments for 4/20/2015 Stationary Source Committee meeting
- Refinery rules
- Net metering
- Clean energy
- Woodsmoke rule
Conference call line will be available. To be buzzed in, follow the prompts on the box (or phone Janet Stromberg, 510.517.1245).WHENApril 07, 2015 at 7pm· 9 rsvpsWHERE350.org office (near 19th St. BART)
1729 Telegraph Ave
Oakland, CA 94612
Google map and directions
The Air District's Climate Protection Program began 10 years ago, yet not one rule to limit greenhouse gases (GHGs) from stationary sources has been adopted, and in 2012 the Air District actually amended its Permit Regulation to exclude even a review of GHG emissions (let alone require reductions) from virtually all permit evaluations.
The Air District is focused on a long term Regional Climate Action Strategy. We asked for and fully support that.
But it's also urgent to take action now to reduce GHG emissions. Many solutions are already well understood. The Air District has the power and the responsibility to implement them.
Most GHG emissions come from combustion, as do particulate emissions (which according to a 2012 BAAQMD report kill 1,700 Bay Areans every year). Only by ending reliance on combustion for heat and power can we clean the air and protect the climate. Industries, developers and vendors will need a long lead time to bring solutions to market. The time to begin the process is now.
Clean energy systems are already being installed on new and existing residential and commercial buildings in the Bay Area. Clean buildings are the "low hanging fruit" for GHG reductions. The time is ripe to promote Bay Area climate action leadership and work toward a regional mandate.
EXTRA LOVE to people who also post personal comments.
BAAQMD Board Members will read them!
Dear BAAQMD Board,
Please take real climate leadership and direct Air District staff to:
- DECARBONIZE BAY AREA INDUSTRIES — Set a goal and pathway to decarbonize Bay Area industries. Overhaul combustion rules to move Bay Area industries toward clean technology and design alternatives as well as efficiency improvements.
- AIR PERMIT RULES — Eliminate the GHG exclusion, and incorporate emission reduction goals into permit rules. Stop GHG emission increases. Achieve actual reductions.
- CLEAN BUILDINGS — Develop and promote model rules for clean buildings beyond California requirements. Work toward the elimination of combustion GHGs and all other pollutants from building systems and appliances.
- CLEAN POWER — Investigate and implement every avenue the Air District can take to support, mandate and fund clean power generation through CEQA mitigation, permitting and regulatory action.
- STAFFING — Assign sufficient staff to GHG rule development.
Sponsors contribute volunteers for planning, the day of the parade, and/or funds. Please thank our generous sponsors:
Tar Sands are a bad idea. We can make sure that the Bay Area is not part of this problem. and ensure that area refineries don't process any materials from tar sands mining operations. Help us convince the cities of Richmond and Martinez to prohibit the dirty, destructive and climate-disruptive tar sands within their city limits.
We request that the city councils of Richmond, Hercules, Benicia and Martinez pass city ordinances to prohibit the transport, processing and refining within city limits of any materials obtained or derived from tar sands of any source. We request that all other city councils in the Bay Area pass resolutions in support of these ordinances.