The Air District Climate Action Work Program commits to initiate rule development in the near term. Over six months into the Work Program, Air District Rules still exclude GHG emissions from permit evaluations, and not one new rule to limit greenhouse gases (GHGs) has been proposed.
The Air District is focused on a long term Regional Climate Action Strategy. We asked for and fully support that.
But it's also urgent to take action now to reduce GHG emissions. Many solutions are already well understood. The Air District has the power and the responsibility to implement them.
EXTRA LOVE to people who also post personal comments.
BAAQMD Board Members will read them!
Dear BAAQMD Board,
Please take real climate leadership and direct Air District staff to:
- STAFFING — Immediately assign sufficient staff to GHG rule development.
- PERMIT RULES — Eliminate the GHG exclusion, and incorporate emission reduction goals into permit rules. Stop GHG emission increases. Achieve actual reductions.
- RESIDENTIAL & COMMERCIAL BUILDING RULES — Develop and promote model rules to encourage efficiency and electrification beyond California requirements. Work toward the elimination of combustion GHGs and all other pollutants from building systems and appliances. Clean energy systems are already being installed on new and existing residential and commercial buildings in the Bay Area. Clean buildings are the "low hanging fruit" for GHG reductions. The time is ripe to promote Bay Area climate action leadership and work toward a regional mandate.
- COMBUSTION RULES — Most GHG emissions come from combustion, as do particulate emissions (which according to a 2012 BAAQMD report kill 1,700 Bay Areans every year). Overhaul combustion rules to move Bay Area industries toward Clean Technology and Design Alternatives as well as efficiency improvements. Only by ending reliance on combustion for heat and power can we clean the air and protect the climate. Industries, developers and vendors will need a long lead time to bring solutions to market. The time to begin the process is now.
- CLEAN POWER RULES and POLICIES — Investigate and implement every avenue the Air District can take to support, mandate and fund clean power generation through CEQA mitigation, permitting and regulatory action.
350 Bay Area and the Climate Movement is YOU.
Your assistance is VALUED and APPRECIATED!
350 Bay Area is ALL VOLUNTEER — we have no paid staff. There plenty of opportunities to support a variety of upcoming 350 Bay Area Events, and the ongoing work of building the organization.
New! Click the below button to see the Special Opportunities (roles) we have to make a big impact to save the planet:
Please fill out the form below to let us know what general roles you are interested in ...
...and THANKS TO YOU for all that you do!