Support Alameda County's proposed ban on fracking
The Alameda County Planning Commission is holding a hearing on a proposed fracking ban. It is important for the public to be there every step of the way. Please join us to speak during public comment or to support those who are speaking.WHENApril 06, 2015 at 6pm· 21 rsvpsWHEREAlameda County Building
424 W Winton Ave
Hayward, CA 94544
Google map and directions
The Air District's Climate Protection Program began 10 years ago, yet not one rule to limit greenhouse gases (GHGs) from stationary sources has been adopted, and in 2012 the Air District actually amended its Permit Regulation to exclude even a review of GHG emissions (let alone require reductions) from virtually all permit evaluations.
The Air District is focused on a long term Regional Climate Action Strategy. We asked for and fully support that.
But it's also urgent to take action now to reduce GHG emissions. Many solutions are already well understood. The Air District has the power and the responsibility to implement them.
Most GHG emissions come from combustion, as do particulate emissions (which according to a 2012 BAAQMD report kill 1,700 Bay Areans every year). Only by ending reliance on combustion for heat and power can we clean the air and protect the climate. Industries, developers and vendors will need a long lead time to bring solutions to market. The time to begin the process is now.
Clean energy systems are already being installed on new and existing residential and commercial buildings in the Bay Area. Clean buildings are the "low hanging fruit" for GHG reductions. The time is ripe to promote Bay Area climate action leadership and work toward a regional mandate.
EXTRA LOVE to people who also post personal comments.
BAAQMD Board Members will read them!
Dear BAAQMD Board,
Please take real climate leadership and direct Air District staff to:
- DECARBONIZE BAY AREA INDUSTRIES — Set a goal and pathway to decarbonize Bay Area industries. Overhaul combustion rules to move Bay Area industries toward clean technology and design alternatives as well as efficiency improvements.
- AIR PERMIT RULES — Eliminate the GHG exclusion, and incorporate emission reduction goals into permit rules. Stop GHG emission increases. Achieve actual reductions.
- CLEAN BUILDINGS — Develop and promote model rules for clean buildings beyond California requirements. Work toward the elimination of combustion GHGs and all other pollutants from building systems and appliances.
- CLEAN POWER — Investigate and implement every avenue the Air District can take to support, mandate and fund clean power generation through CEQA mitigation, permitting and regulatory action.
- STAFFING — Assign sufficient staff to GHG rule development.
350 Bay Area and the Climate Movement is YOU.
Your assistance is VALUED and APPRECIATED!
350 Bay Area is ALL VOLUNTEER — we have no paid staff. There plenty of opportunities to support a variety of upcoming 350 Bay Area Events, and the ongoing work of building the organization.
New! Click the below button to see the Special Opportunities (roles) we have to make a big impact to save the planet:
Please fill out the form below to let us know what general roles you are interested in ...
...and THANKS TO YOU for all that you do!